$ wget http://malfela.blogspot.com | RSS: Main

Monday 4 February 2008

B-Day

It was my birthday yesterday and this is what i got:

USB Microscope up to 1280x magnification;
1GB RAM for my Ubuntu PC (so that now I have 1.1GB or 1152MB RAM in it :));
Snakehead (the seventh Alex Rider book developed by Anthony Horowitz);
£90;
DVD (can't remember what);
Chocolate thingy saying Happy Birthday;
A tent;
A backpack that you fill with water (called a 'bladder');

I've also ordered for myself (partly with the £90):

Samsung Syncmaster 920NW 19" Widescreen 16:10, up to 1440x900 @ 75Hz;
nVidia Geforce FX5200 128MB PCI Graphics card w/ DVI, VGA, S-Video out;

I'm very happy about the screen and the graphics card, those right now are probably the lowest spec things in my Ubuntu PC (apart from maybe the Intel P4 1.8GHz, i hate to say).

14" CRT 1024x768 @ 60Hz ==>> 19" LCD 1440x900 @ 75Hz;
nVidia Vanta w/ VGA 16MB ==>> nVidia Geforce w/ DVI+VGA+SVideo 128MB;

the first ones are the specs i have now, the second are the ones i'm upgrading to.

Hopefully sometime in the near future i should also upgrade my CPU (as it's upgradeable, i have a Compaq Evo D500 Small Form Factor), and the 20GB HDD. Then it would basically be a new computer! so far (as in when the graphics card comes) it's new/upgraded:

RAM;
Graphics;
CD-ROM (upgraded to DVD+-RW DL);
USB 2.0 card;
OS (from Windows to Ubuntu, i consider that an upgrade ;))

2 comments:

TheguywholikeselectronicsandLinux said...

COOL W00T!
I can't wait till my PC works.
Ubuntu Is definitely a upgrade to Windows.
And windows call vista a upgrade to XP but it is a downgrade to XP!

Colonel Panic said...

you mean Ubuntu is an upgrade *from* windows, and Vista is a downgrade *from* XP.