$ wget http://malfela.blogspot.com | RSS: Main

Saturday 1 December 2007

Leopard review ... finally!

Ok I've finally gathered together some pretty cool screenshots of Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard. First, here is the default desktop that came up just after I'd installed leopard:















Everyone knows that macs are easy and intuitive, right? Well you should see help in leopard. I'm not joking, anyone could use it!















Coverflow in finder looks cool... (and the BSoD PC icons are funny!)















Quick Look is an absolute lifesaver.














Genie might not be a new leopard thing, but it's cool anyway! (here you can see that I've set the new Arabesque screensaver as my desktop background, and I'm installing developer tools 3.0 from the install DVD.)















Stacks are just eyecandy (although cooler than cool):














And last, but certainly not least, Spaces. NOTE: Spaces is very similar to compiz fusion, and it is not an original idea. But as far as i can tell, it's the first time anything like it has come to the mac.













Overall I think leopard is an excellent upgrade. I think you definitely get your moneys worth, especially for it being only £85/$129. Here are just a few of the new features that I can think of off the top of my head:

Completely redesigned finder (including coverflow and quicklook)
Mail.app stationary
Spaces
Dashcode, and all other developer tools ('Xcode 3.0') free
Web clips
Tabbed terminal interface
Time Machine
Front Row (works with PPC macs now :D)
Stacks
iChat
Built in VNC in iChat and Finder
New screensavers 'Arabesque' and 'Shell', and new voice 'Alex'.
Eyecandy, and lots of it!
Loads of redesigned menus and things, e.g the translucent menu bar and the 3D dock.

No comments: